SAN FRANCISCO, May 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ – Bruno Mars “The Lazy Song” is the number one ringtone that employees are downloading on the company dime. That bit of irony is just one of the amusing and sometimes alarming findings uncovered in a recent study of the “Dirty Little Secrets” of corporate mobility spending by Visage, the leader in enterprise mobility management (EMM) that enables businesses to take control of their mobile budget and inventory.
Visage, obtained the “Dirty Little Secrets” data from Visage’s enterprise mobility management service MobilityCentral. MobilityCentral aggregates carrier billing statements, HR directories, wireless device inventory, and mobile device management data to produce unique and insightful data. The data sample came from just over 450 companies using over 550,000 devices across 21 different industries. The companies ranged in size from 35 to nearly 35,000 employees, with an average of 700 wireless users per company. The Visage research included normalized carrier data from all four major U.S. wireless carriers.
Here’s more “Dirty Little Secrets” that only Visage’s MobilityCentral could uncover:
- The average company spends $851,880 per year on their wireless bills
- The average individual wireless employee costs a company $1,234.68 per year in wireless costs
- Of that total, $107,352 is spent needlessly due to mis- or under-allocated text, data, and voice plans, un-provisioned international roaming, unauthorized downloads, and more
This needless spend, which Visage refers to as “bad spend” is very common across businesses and results from the lack of resources with which to manage mobility, a lack of institutionalized wireless policies, and the inherent difficulty of interpreting enterprise-level carrier bills. Visage has collected and averaged the so-called “bad spend” that exists in the enterprise and found these averages:
- Average annual cost for going over allotted voice plans: $9,444
- Average annual cost for going over allotted data plans: $8,724
- Average annual cost for going over allotted text-message plans: $14,568
- Average annual long-distance calling charges: $13,056
- Average annual cost of 411/Directory Assistance: $3,708
Downloads cost an average $6,504 annually and of these downloads
- 25% are navigation services
- 10% are text alerts with a monthly recurring cost (mostly horoscopes and fact-services)
- A shocking 10% are ‘adult oriented’ services – sexy SMS services, geo-locating dating services, and others we’d rather not go into detail about
Finally, corporate America loves their music, but what are the most downloaded ringtones by mobile users? We’re surprised to report these are the top five most downloaded ringtones in the enterprise:
- The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars
- Moves Like Jagger by Maroon 5
- God Gave Me You by Blake Shelton
- Bow Chick Wow Wow by Mike Posner
- Dirt Road Anthem by Jason Aldean
Visage is exhibiting at CTIA Wireless held May 8-10 in New Orleans, stop by the booth #4374, in the Emerging Technology Zone to hear more dirty little mobility secrets.